The Project Planner/Master Scheduler has experience in coordinating with various program/project participants to gather schedule data, including individual discrete events, relationships (dependencies) among events and actual schedule progress. They must possess the ability to validate schedule logic following data input and can create standard report formats and ad hoc reports as directed by senior staff. Prior to project start, The Scheduler creates and revises preliminary master schedules for operations detailing the sequence of all work to be performed.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in a business or technical discipline.
5 years, or 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Maintain master schedule for each project and identify and record the impact of work performed and not performed as scheduled.
- Evaluate actual progress and provide regular schedule updates.
- Interface with Project and Program Managers, Customers, Operations Assurance, Executives, and Subcontractors/Teaming Partners to discuss impact of work and resolution of problems.
- Create Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) and dictionaries
Contribute to the development of working schedules for Estimating, prior to proposal date, which sufficiently illustrate the sequence of work activities and contract time.
- Prepare and issue proposal WBS and preliminary schedule.
- Incorporate Resource and/or Cost Loading data into schedules as required.
- Consult the appropriate project team members and estimating procedures as a means of ensuring that proper planning is completed prior to the commencement of work.
- Assist Project Managers in creating short-term schedules, monitor such schedules to determine impact on master schedule, and help in formulating actions to correct scheduling problems.
- Provide information as needed on the content, modification, or presentation of project schedule.
- Identify and implement mitigation strategies for risk.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables and facilitate milestone discussions/checkpoints.
- Support development of progress reports, risk and issue logs, and presentations.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Create and maintain schedules supporting Earned Value measurements and reporting
- At least 5 years direct work experience in a team leadership and project planning capacity, including all aspects of schedule process development and execution.
- 3 or more years with project management software, such as MS Project, Primavera, SharePoint.
- 4 or more years with VA scheduling tools (MS Project, TeamPlay, Primavera)
- 4 or more years with Salesforce
- Experience with VA Propath and PMAS requirements as constraints/inputs to scheduling
- Experience with Agile Development processes and technologies
- Experience working with remote team members
- Ability to build, maintain, and inspire a team
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with system integration technologies, service-oriented architecture (SOA), web services, software design principles, tools and applications
- Experience with large scale web applications, system architectures, and data architectures
- Excellent communication skills – written/verbal/presentation
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- VA and/or Healthcare IT experience strongly preferred
- Experience working on CMMI Level 3 programs
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- VA and/or Healthcare IT experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with earned value practices, terminology, standards and systems
- Experience planning and estimating software development and implementation programs based on various lifecycles and contract types
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Overtime may be required in meet project deadlines
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings